Getting a training contract & my first seat

I completed my Law Degree at Anglia Ruskin University in Chelmsford in 2011, from there I went on to complete the Legal Practice Course (“LPC”) at the College of Law in 2012 (better known now as the University of Law). My first legal job following the LPC was for a cost firm in the city, where I acted on behalf of insurer clients in personal injury cases. I then went on to work for another city firm practising commercial litigation.

Whilst I enjoyed my time working in the city, my ultimate goal was to obtain a training contract and qualify as a solicitor, so I was delighted when I saw a vacancy for a training contract with Mullis & Peake. I live in Hornchurch, so Romford was an ideal location for me and Mullis & Peake are a good size firm with a huge variety of services and departments.  

The training contract was conditional upon successfully passing a six month period as a paralegal. I began the paralegal role in April this year, working with Manzurul Islam in the commercial litigation department. The commercial litigation team were very friendly and welcoming and I settled in straight away. From the outset I was attending client meetings and networking events and it was really exciting to get involved with the firm’s activities and workload. My previous litigation experience also really helped with the tasks I was being given.  

After 5 months of working with Mullis & Peake, I was offered a training contract. I had really enjoyed the last few months working with Mullis & Peake, so it was such a relief to hear that they wanted to take me on as a trainee solicitor. I was also really pleased to hear that I was to continue working in the commercial litigation department, as I felt I was making good progress and enjoying the variety of work. My training contract officially began in October.  

Shortly after beginning my training contract one of the members of the team left the firm for pastures new, so we had a busy few weeks in the department, whilst waiting for her replacement to begin.  In true litigation style, we had four hearings and a three party mediation, all in the space of two weeks. Whilst at times it was stressful preparing for all of the hearings, it was also really exciting to get involved in each of cases, as each case was completely different. One of the hearings was a small claims track trial, the mediation was for a six figure claim, one was a hearing dealing with an assessment of costs and another was a disposal hearing. I also got to attend all of the hearings and the mediation. I had already attended a number of hearings before but I had never attended mediation, so it was really great experience to learn how the process works in practice.  

The diary still looks busy up until Christmas but the weeks are flying past and I am learning more and more as each day passes.