our-history

Our History

Our heritage is built upon close family ties and a progressive, candid approach to our work. Read the full story of our beginnings below…

Fred Mullis came to Essex from Devon at the turn of the century and set up business in the year 1902 in North Street in Romford, above a cycle shop. He subsequently went into partnership with Mr Surridge in 1910 under the name Surridge & Mullis moving the office to South Street in Romford in 1912. Within a year, Mr Surridge left for the USA and Fred Mullis continued on his own. Fred Mullis was later joined by his nephew Lewis Peake in 1919 after he was demobbed from the army; this was the start of the Mullis & Peake partnership.

In 1924, Lionel Mullis joined the firm and six years later the firm’s founder, Fred Mullis, retired after 28 years of service, leaving his only son to continue his legacy at the firm. Later, the third generation of the family, Cedric Mullis joined the firm until his retirement as senior partner in 1991. Fred Gerrey joined the firm soon after the retirement of Fred Mullis in 1931 and two years later the office headquarters were moved to Western Road to accommodate the expansion of the firm.

In 1935, a second office was opened in Chadwell Heath and Mr Peake’s daughter, Daisy Peake joined the firm in1937 and managed this office. Mullis & Peake was a truly pioneering firm of the times, Daisy was the 33rd female lawyer in the country.

The office headquarters remained in Western Road for some 40 years before moving back to South Street in 1974. Today we can be found in Eastern Road in Romford, having started our residency in North Street, and moving subsequently through South Street and Western Road during the last century, we have navigated all corners and acknowledge as a firm, we have quite literally been around the block!