Who can make a claim regarding financial provision?

Generally only immediate family or those very close to the deceased

  • The spouse or civil partner of the deceased
  • A child of the deceased. Child of the deceased has a wide meaning and includes adults, illegitimate or adopted children and those born after the parent’s death
  • A person treated as a child of the deceased
  • A former spouse or civil partner who has not since remarried or formed another civil partnership
  • Someone who lived with the deceased for at least 2 years before their death
  • Someone who has been financially supported by the deceased up until their death

It is important that prompt action is taken if you feel that you have any grounds to make a claim against an estate. A time limit of six months from the Grant of Probate applies in relation to such claims.

Want to know more, contact Martyn Trenerry or read below.


Our Expertise

Contesting a Will

Financial Provision