Financial Provision for Children

If you are separating or divorcing, how do you make sure your children are provided for?

If you are married, financial support for your children is usually dealt with in the divorce settlement. If you agree on child maintenance, you can include this agreement in a Consent Order in the divorce. If not, you will need to apply to the Child Maintenance Service.

Services also offered in

However, if you are not married and there are dependent children from the relationship, you might need to apply to Court for Financial Orders for the children under Schedule 1 of the Children Act.

The Court can make Orders for the payment of lump sums or the provision of a property for the benefit of your children.  If one parent lives abroad or you have a child with a disability, the Court may also be able to make Child Maintenance Orders even if you cannot agree on child maintenance.

Often, if one unmarried parent makes a claim for the sale of the family home, the other parent will need to apply for financial provision for children under Schedule 1 of the Children Act to ensure that the children do not lose their home.  Our expert lawyers can advise you on whether or not you might have such a claim and guide you through the process either to negotiate a settlement or through Court proceedings.

Family and Divorce Law Enquiry

Fill out the form and a member of our team will get in touch to discuss how we can help.

Mullis & Peake will use the information you provide in this form in accordance with our privacy policy. With your consent, we may from time to time send you general updates by email or post that we think you will find of interest.This includes notification of upcoming event and updates or alerts containing relevant legal news. You can update your preferences at any time and will be able to easily unsubscribe from anything that you do not wish to receive.

Free consultations

Our latest insights

Commercial Disputes, Legal, Business, Contract Disputes & Debt Recovery, Debt Recovery
Start the new tax year with better debt recovery processes
May 17, 2022
Family & Divorce, Legal, Divorce, Family law
No more blame but challenges remain for divorcing couples
May 10, 2022
Dispute Resolution, Legal, Landlord & Tenant (Residential)
Assured Shorthold Tenancies: A guide to the Section 21 Procedure
May 3, 2022
Legal, Wills & Power of Attorney, Wills
Wills validity challenges in the news
Apr 19, 2022
Family & Divorce Law, Legal, Divorce, Family law
What to consider when Buying a Property or Moving In with your Partner
Apr 13, 2022
Court of Protection, Legal, Court of Protection, Personal
What is a Panel Deputy?
Apr 13, 2022
Court of Protection, Legal, Court of Protection, Personal
What is the Court of Protection?
Apr 13, 2022
Movers & Shakers, Mullis & Peake, Wills
Congratulations to Anne Wijayarathne
Apr 1, 2022
Court of Protection, Legal, Wills & Power of Attorney, Court of Protection, Personal, Wills
Half of Wills in Havering and Brentwood are out of date
Mar 28, 2022
Court of Protection, Legal, Court of Protection, Personal
Budget Summary March 2022
Mar 23, 2022
Meet OUR people

Family Team


Esra Dogan

Esra is a solicitor based in the family department. 

Contact Esra
Associate Solicitor

Jessica Thrower

Jessica is an Associate Solicitor and has specialised in family law throughout her career

Contact Jessica
Senior Associate Solicitor and Head of Family Team

Sally Ward

Sally qualified as a solicitor in 1994 and has always specialised in family law. 

Contact Sally