Financial Provision for Children

If you are separating or divorcing, how do you make sure your children are provided for?

If you are married, financial support for your children is usually dealt with in the divorce settlement. If you agree on child maintenance, you can include this agreement in a Consent Order in the divorce. If not, you will need to apply to the Child Maintenance Service.

Services also offered in

However, if you are not married and there are dependent children from the relationship, you might need to apply to Court for Financial Orders for the children under Schedule 1 of the Children Act.

The Court can make Orders for the payment of lump sums or the provision of a property for the benefit of your children.  If one parent lives abroad or you have a child with a disability, the Court may also be able to make Child Maintenance Orders even if you cannot agree on child maintenance.

Often, if one unmarried parent makes a claim for the sale of the family home, the other parent will need to apply for financial provision for children under Schedule 1 of the Children Act to ensure that the children do not lose their home.  Our expert lawyers can advise you on whether or not you might have such a claim and guide you through the process either to negotiate a settlement or through Court proceedings.

Family and Divorce Law Enquiry

Fill out the form and a member of our team will get in touch to discuss how we can help.

Mullis & Peake will use the information you provide in this form in accordance with our privacy policy. With your consent, we may from time to time send you general updates by email or post that we think you will find of interest.This includes notification of upcoming event and updates or alerts containing relevant legal news. You can update your preferences at any time and will be able to easily unsubscribe from anything that you do not wish to receive.

Frequently asked questions

Child maintenance is paid towards the costs of bringing up children. Ideally, it's something that parents should agree between them. If they can't agree, they will need to go to the Child Maintenance Service because there are only a few cases where you can actually apply for a court order. If you're trying to agree child maintenance, it’s a good idea to do an estimate of what the Child Maintenance Service would calculate because that's a good start to working out an appropriate level of payments. The child maintenance calculation is based on the paying parents’ gross income so that's before tax and National Insurance are taken off. They will take off pension contributions and then there's a reduction depending on the number of overnight stays the children have with the paying parent averaged over the year. Child maintenance payments last until the children are between 16 and 20. That very much depends on when they actually finish their education and the type of education that they're doing. There are a few exceptions to helping to either agree child maintenance or go to the Child Maintenance Service. They are generally, if your child suffers from a disability and they are going to remain dependent on you, you might be entitled to child maintenance beyond the 16-20 year age cap. If the paying parent actually lives abroad and not in this country you will need a court order for child maintenance. And finally, the Child Maintenance Service sets a cap on the maximum maintenance payments that they'll make the payer pay. If the paying parent is a particularly high earner, it is possible to go to court and apply for an order to top up the Child Maintenance Services calculation of child maintenance.

Our latest insights

Contested Wills and Financial Provision, Legal, Contested wills and financial provision
Who is able to bring a contested probate claim?
Dec 4, 2023
Contested Wills and Financial Provision, Legal
Organise your affairs to avoid disappointed beneficiaries as life expectancy increases
Dec 1, 2023
Movers & Shakers, Mullis & Peake, Business
Congratulations and Promotions – November 23
Dec 1, 2023
Legal, Residential Property, Residential Property
Four things to be aware of before buying a property at auction
Nov 27, 2023
Legal, Residential Property, Lease Extensions
A Comprehensive Guide to Statutory Lease Extensions
Nov 24, 2023
Legal, Residential Property, Lease Extensions
What is Collective Enfranchisement?
Nov 24, 2023
Court of Protection, Legal, Court of Protection
Autumn Statement 2023
Nov 22, 2023
Movers & Shakers, Mullis & Peake
Upminster BrewDog Event 2023
Nov 22, 2023
Charity & Fundraising, Mullis & Peake
Give a Child a Christmas Campaign 2023
Nov 22, 2023
Legal, Personal Injury, Personal Injury
How are general damages calculated?
Nov 20, 2023
Meet OUR people

Family Team

Associate Solicitor

Jessica Thrower

Jessica is an Associate Solicitor and has specialised in family law throughout her career

Contact Jessica

Jaspreet Pannu

Jaspreet is a Solicitor in our Family team
Contact Jaspreet

Yvonne Taiwo

Yvonne is a Solicitor in our Family team
Contact Yvonne