Family & Divorce

7 things separated parents need to know about taking children on holiday

Don’t make your holiday move stressful than it needs to be by arguing over arrangements for your children.

26 Jul 2022

Team name
Sally Ward

Sally Ward

With news of flights being cancelled, queues to get through the tunnel and train strikes, travelling abroad seems to be getting more stressful than ever. Don’t make your holiday move stressful than it needs to be by arguing over arrangements for your children. To take some of the stress out of those arrangements here are points you need to know:

  1. You need the other parent’s consent to take a child abroad. Abroad includes Scotland, Northern Ireland and Eire as they are not part of the jurisdiction of England and Wales. The only exceptions to this are:
    1. The other parent does not have parental responsibility for your child or children
    2. You have a court order that states that your child or children is to live with you, in which case you can take them abroad for a holiday for up to a month without the other parent’s consent
    3. You have a court order that specifically states that you can take your child abroad.
  2. It is a criminal offence of child abduction to take a child abroad without the other parent’s, or anyone else with parental responsibility, consent or a court order.
  3. It is best to talk to the other parent about your holiday plans as far in advance of the holiday as possible. This will give you time to agree arrangements for your holiday, the other parent’s holiday and handing over passports. If you cannot agree on everything, you will have time to seek advice.
  4. Consider using a mediator to agree on holiday arrangements.
  5. Whether you have agreed arrangements or not, it is a good idea to provide the other parent with essential information about your holiday including dates and times of travel, flight numbers and details about your destination and accommodation.
  6. Don’t leave it until the last minute to seek legal advice. If the holiday is imminent, you can apply for an order to be made urgently but it is best to give us as much time as possible to prepare your application.
  7. You can apply for a specific issue order from the court for the return of passports or permission to take your child abroad. You can apply for a prohibited steps order preventing the other parent from taking the child abroad.

Happy holidays.

M&P Commentary

Sally Ward, Head of the Family team at Mullis & Peake, said:

“Holidays are meant to be a chance to have fun and relax; following these guidelines will help you and your children get the most of your time together.”


Ranked highly in Romford and Brentwood for solicitor firms

Dispute resolution
I am extremely grateful for the service I received, with professional help & advice these past years.
Mr North
Trusts and Probate
We would like to thank Anne and Manzurul for helping to make our probate application go smoothly and efficiently. We found the process very professional.
M McDermott
From start to finish our needs were handled with all due care and attention to detail.
Residential Property
Svetlana at Mullis & Peake recently handled our divorce transactions and house purchase, no fuss, straight forward advice, great communication and handled efficiently.
Residential Property
Trusts and Probate
Excellent service and very good advice on both recent matters. Mullis & Peake have acted for our family for many years and have proved very professional on each occasion
Residential Property
Mullis & Peake dealt with both the sale and purchase for my mum's properties. Paul is professional, helpful and efficient. Explained all the processes in a timely manner. Top quali...
I've found the service I've received at Mullis and Peake to be courteous, professional and highly recommendable.
Special thanks to Roisin McCorry for her professionalism, resolve, patience, and the support she provided during this very difficult time.
Dispute resolution
Extremely satisfied with service received from Mullis & Peake. I would thoroughly recommend their service as they were recommended to me.