Personal Injury

Can I make a claim for an accident abroad?

If you have suffered an injury because of an accident abroad, you may be able to bring a claim for compensation. Many people are left out of pocket following an accident abroad because they believe it will be too expensive or too complicated to bring a successful claim. However, bringing a claim can be straightforward, particularly with the assistance of an experienced personal injury lawyer. In this article, we look at some of the practicalities of bringing a claim for an accident suffered abroad.

29 Oct 2021

Team name
Holly Minney

Holly Minney

What type of accident abroad can I bring a claim for?

It is possible to bring a claim for the same types of accidents or injuries you could bring a claim for if they happened here in the UK. However, most commonly, people bring claims for:

  • Road traffic accidents abroad
  • Accidents at ski resorts
  • Cycling accidents abroad
  • Slips, trips and falls at hotels and resorts
  • Food poisoning at all-inclusive resorts

This list is not exhaustive, and you can discuss with a specialist personal injury solicitor whether your accident is suitable for making a personal injury claim.

Where do I need to bring my claim?

Even if you have suffered an accident in another country, you may be able to bring your claim in a UK court. There are certain circumstances where this will not be possible, but your personal injury solicitor can check this for you.

Who do I bring a claim against?

Who you should bring a claim against will depend on the exact circumstances of the accident.

Accident on a package holiday

Many people are able to bring a claim against their package holiday provider if their accident took place while travelling, at the hotel, or while on an excursion booked through the operator. Making a claim against a package holiday provider is normally straightforward and you will normally not even attend court.

Accident while travelling for work or study

If you suffer an accident while travelling for work or study, you may be able to bring a claim against an employer or the party who organised for you to be in another country. If this party is a business registered in the UK, this can be straightforward. If you are employed in the UK and you are injured whilst working abroad, your claim would progress in the same way as if you were injured in an accident at work in your workplace in the UK.

The best way to understand whether you can bring a personal injury claim is to discuss your case with a solicitor. They will explain all your options to you as well as the next steps to begin making your claim. There is no obligation to continue. Many worry that making a claim will leave them out of pocket, but your solicitor should be able to work with you to come to a fee arrangement that works for you.

M&P Commentary

Holly Minney, Head of Dispute Resolution, said:

“Having an accident whilst on holiday may result in you incurring medical costs and losing the enjoyment from your holiday, as well as claiming for the injury sustained we can seek to recover expenses that you incur.”


Ranked highly in Romford and Brentwood for solicitor firms

Trusts and Probate
We would like to thank Anne and Manzurul for helping to make our probate application go smoothly and efficiently. We found the process very professional.
M McDermott
From start to finish our needs were handled with all due care and attention to detail.
Residential Property
Svetlana at Mullis & Peake recently handled our divorce transactions and house purchase, no fuss, straight forward advice, great communication and handled efficiently.
Residential Property
Trusts and Probate
Excellent service and very good advice on both recent matters. Mullis & Peake have acted for our family for many years and have proved very professional on each occasion
Residential Property
Mullis & Peake dealt with both the sale and purchase for my mum's properties. Paul is professional, helpful and efficient. Explained all the processes in a timely manner. Top quali...
I've found the service I've received at Mullis and Peake to be courteous, professional and highly recommendable.
Special thanks to Roisin McCorry for her professionalism, resolve, patience, and the support she provided during this very difficult time.
Dispute resolution
Extremely satisfied with service received from Mullis & Peake. I would thoroughly recommend their service as they were recommended to me.

Related News insights

Commercial Disputes, Legal, Business, Contract Disputes & Debt Recovery, Debt Recovery
Start the new tax year with better debt recovery processes
Family & Divorce, Legal, Divorce, Family law
No more blame but challenges remain for divorcing couples
Dispute Resolution, Legal, Landlord & Tenant (Residential)
Assured Shorthold Tenancies: A guide to the Section 21 Procedure
Legal, Wills & Power of Attorney, Wills
Wills validity challenges in the news